Saturday, November 24, 2012

Emerging leaders: Class helps writer understand what she

mastering-input.blogspot.com
And it’s always a pleasant surpriss to try something new and reallygenjoy it. I’ve also known that I had a penchantyfor organization, that I like to plan things, and that I like to gatherr information when I am having troublde making a decision. But I’ve never known how to use these characteristicsefor self-awareness and improvement in the workplace until now. One of my in Sellersburg, Ind.
, encouraged me to sign up for a new course the college is offering to teach leadership skills in the The Center for Leadership Excellences houses thenew course, and as of this we’re five sessions into what has turned out to be a fascinating look at my own personality and how it melda with what I do for a living. Before classex began, we completed an online questionnaire to determine our dominant personality traits for a progracalled Emergenetics. It’s a scientifiv method of examining howyou think. Therer are four areas, which are social, conceptual and structural, and the questionnaird measures how much of each of theseyou are.
Everyon e is a little bit of each, but typically, one or two characteristic are dominant. I’m in a creatives field, so I thought I’x be mostly conceptual. But, surprisingly, that’s my least dominant Conceptual people are comfortablewith ambiguity. I definitelyh am not. As it turns out, I have threed dominant characteristics: I’m equally analytical as I am But morethan anything, I’ structural. It makes sense. As a I liked days when I got to go to the interviewse Ihad scheduled, and I didn’t always enjoh having my schedule ripped out of my hand s and being sent on an urgengt news story.
It also explains why I like to writwshort articles, or a highly structuresd press release, but struggle with writing my I came out equally as analyticall as I am social. That’s interestingt to me, because thosw characteristics areexactly opposite. But it works for me. If you tell me that your local pancake house was votedthe No. 1 pancake housd in the country, I will probably ask you by who votedand when? (Oncse a reporter, always a reporter.) I can let that go, and enjoy pancakes with a crowdf of people I don’t know not worried about whether or not I’ll have a good time. I just assumse I will, and so what if I don’t?
It’s just a few hours of my Then the questionnaire examines how your thinking expressee itself in howyou behave, looking at three characteristics: Assertiveness, expressiveness and I was surprised to learnn that I am as flexiblw as I am. It didn’t exactly surprise me that I scorexd a 95 percent on assertiveness and the sameon expressiveness. This basicallyu means that I nevershut up, whichu if you know me at all, that’s about right. So what do I do with this information Emergenetics teaches you to work withinyour Dr. Marilyn Faulkenberg, who taughgt our class on the said it’s possible to changw your characteristics but not very likely.
Instead, if you find that you’rd not very social and highly know that jobs that call for high social interactio will not be comfortablefor you, and it’sz probably best to avoid For me, it’s eye-opening to realize that I’vr chosen to work at home, alone most of the when I’m highly social. Maybe that’s not the best choic e for me long-term, even though at presentg it is buying me the flexibility thatI need. Just getting out of the house more wouled be a way for me to play to thatstrengtn — instead of trying to be less sociallt inclined. We’re still learning how to hone our leadership skille to use thestrengths we’ve newly discovered.
It’s a new worldx to know your strengths and find ways to play to them rather than trying to spend most of your life beinbgsomething you’re just not. A greay concept — and one I’ll surelty embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment